Engagement photo sessions are also usually the first time we will work together and perhaps the first time you and your fiancé have professional photos taken together. That is super-exciting, however, it can also make you two a tiny bit nervous because you don’t know what to expect, what to do, how to act, or what to wear.
To help us build rapport with you before the wedding day, a complimentary engagement session is included with every wedding booking. I find that couples are more relaxed about photos when the wedding day arrives because they’ve already worked with me at their engagement photo shoot. You are more relaxed in front of our cameras with each other, and we can get to know each other while creating some gorgeous images of just two of you!
I also highly recommend brides to test out their makeup artist before the wedding day. The best is to request a "makeup test" the day of our engagement session. So you can make use of the beautiful makeup as well. Still looking for a makeup & hair artist? K-Pony is your one stop salon where you can get your overall glow!
SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO WEAR
1. Choose comfortable clothes: Comfort is the key, it will be noticeable in the pictures if you are not. Also, wear comfortable shoes if the chosen location will include a lot of walking. Think cute flats or boots with a low heel rather than stilettos.
2. Choose outfits that reflect your personality: Your outfits should look like “you” and fit your personality.
3. Coordinate your outfits with each other: Wear clothes that are the same level of “dressiness.” and wear similar shades that compliment each other. Choose outfits that look best on both of you.
4. Choose outfits that work with your location: If we are taking pictures in a field or the mountains, consider clothes with more neutral/natural colors. And if we are taking pictures in a city area, you might consider more urban clothes with bolder colors.
5. Choose colors that compliment your skin tone: If you have light skin, pastel tones can wash out your complexion in photographs.
Check out my Pinterest board for some inspirations.
SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT NOT TO WEAR
1. Clothing accenting your least favorite body parts: If you have certain body parts that you want to hide, don’t wear clothing that accents them. For example, if you dislike your arms, do not wear sleeveless tops or strapless dresses (this also applies to wedding gowns!). If you do not like your legs, do not wear a short skirt or a short dress. Darker tones such as navy blue or black also look great and have a slimming effect.
2. Fluorescent Colors: Fluorescent colors (such as bright orange, red, green) is to be avoided. They tend to color cast on faces, necks and hair. When the shirt is so bright, it often also changes the color of the person next to them also.
3. Trendy clothing: Trend goes out of style quickly, think classic!
4. Major changes with your hair and makeup: You want your engagement photos to reflect who you really are, while we recommend a hair & makeup appointment before your session, you shouldn't make drastic changes, just in case you won't like it.
5. Large shirts that are not tucked in. For men, it’s usually better to wear a belt if you are wearing a nice button-up shirt. Sometimes, if untucked shirts are too big or too wide, they don’t look good. Fitted shirts and jackets look much better than wide boxy ones.
The results of your engagement pictures can be used on your wedding website, album, as wall art, or use as engagement announcements and “save-the-date” cards. Plan your engagement session well ahead will ensure success!
Book your consultation and reserve a complimentary Engagement Session now!